My route into natural language processing was somewhat non-traditional: I built up experience as a linguist, statistician, and programmer separately, then decided to combine the three through a PhD. My research interests are currently low-resource machine translation, parallel corpus creation and filtering at scale, and understanding data augmentation for low-resource neural machine translation. When I’m not doing my PhD, I like to climb Munros, practise jiu-jitsu, and play the melodeon (a.k.a. diatonic accordion).
2019 to present: PhD candidate in Natural Language Processing at University of Edinburgh
- Thesis title: Data augmentation and filtering for low-resource machine translation
- Supervisors: Kenneth Heafield and Lexi Birch
2013 to 2015: MSc in Economics at the University of Warwick
- Topics: Panel data econometrics, labour economics, game theory
- Final grade: Distinction
2009 to 2013: BA (Hons) in Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Cambridge
- Topics: Arabic, Persian, Islamic studies, comparative Semitic linguistics
- Final grade: 2:1
Laurie Burchell, Alexandra Birch, and Kenneth Heafield. “Exploring diversity in back translation for low-resource machine translation.” In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Deep Learning Approaches for Low-Resource NLP (DeepLo 2022), upcoming. 2022.
Pinzhen Chen, Jindřich Helcl, Ulrich Germann, Laurie Burchell, Nikolay Bogoychev, Antonio Valerio Miceli-Barone, Jonas Waldendorf, Alexandra Birch, and Kenneth Heafield. “The University of Edinburgh’s English-German and English-Hausa submissions to the WMT21 news translation task.” In Proceedings of the Sixth Conference on Machine Translation, pp. 104-109. 2021.
Laurie Burchell, Jie Chi, Tom Hosking, Nina Markl, and Bonnie Webber. “Querent Intent in Multi-Sentence Questions.” In Proceedings of the 14th Linguistic Annotation Workshop, pp. 138-147. 2020.
- Python - 5 years experience
- bash/Linux - 5 years experience
- Slurm and cluster computing - 2 years experience
- Marian (machine translation framework) - 2 years experience
- Pig - 2 years experience
- Pytorch - 1 year experience
- C/C++ - beginner
- English (native)
- Spanish (proficient)
- Egyptian Arabic (advanced)
- Modern Standard Arabic (intermediate)
- French (intermediate)
- German (basic)
- Persian (basic)
- Scottish Gaelic (basic)
Full CV available on request.